Sunday, October 26, 2008

Cluck Cluck!

Okay, anyone who knows me knows how I feel about animals (if you don't, refer to #7 on my "I've been Tagged" post). I'm not sure what happened, I think something to do with emergency preparedness and thinking the world is coming to an end and the need for chickens for eggs, but I decided it would be a good idea to own a few chickens. My animal loving husband hasn't been able to stop talking about them since I said I'd be okay with it so after much research and preparing on his part, we found our first 2. This is a Araucana (whatever that is) but they are egg layers that lay colorful Easter egg type eggs. She's about 7 months old.
This is a Silky (we had only planned on getting this one but fell in love with the other one and got a good deal for both). These seem to be the most tame and coolest looking. They almost look like poodles. This one is 9 months. She's really sweet. They lay eggs just not as many but we heard their eggs taste amazing.
We're trying to think of names. Anyone got any ideas?

5 comments:

Nate and Kristen said...

Holy Cow! (I mean chicken! hee hee). I bet Jaxon's having fun with them. We will be expecting an invite for fresh omelets sometime soon. You should name her Fifi (since she looks like a poodle).

smilingsarahbear said...

I never thought I'd see the day that you owned a pet by your own choice and I must say that it adds to my surprise that it's chickens! Miracles can happen;) I also never thought I'd say this in my life, but they are such cute chickens. And they serve a purpose- how awesome is that! Thanks for all your awesome comments btw- they're always my favorites!

Steve + Brindy Arnett said...

Cassie, I LOVE your chickens!! so cute! we just got a couple of silkies last night...a boy and a girl so maybe we'll have little ones soon :) we also got a polish/silky cross thats so cool!
(i know im a nerd) :)

Jeff, Chelsea & Rustin said...

Oh your neighbors are going to love you. They will kepp the bugs down. You guys are to funny. Good year supply right!

the ridgeways said...

the fluffy one is so cute!!! you'll have to let me know how it goes with the chickens! i would love to do that too to have fresh eggs! but we'd have to have some special house for them or we'd have popsicle chickens and that would do us no good! do you have a coop for them or are they pretty much wandering around the backyard?