Saturday, September 4, 2010

Dove hunting (I don't get it)

September one-Brian looks forward to it every year. He leaves early in the morning to shoot 10 birds, comes home, cooks them, and eats them. He won't admit (though it's true) in order to make the breasts taste good, they must be marinated and cooked in a strong sauce. Without it, they would be and are NASTY. Yes, I tried them once ages ago and vowed never to make the mistake again. This year, he decided it would be fun to take the boys. I didn't think they would enjoy killing an animal. They love animals. But I was wrong. Turns out, animals are as equally fascinating alive as they are dead. Who knew. So the second day of the dove hunting season, I decided the whole family should go out and see what all the fuss is about. I guess opening day is packed with birds and by day two, has dwindled to a disappointing low count. So we took a nature walk (A.K.A.-waiting for daddy to get a good shot). Finally, after we were ready to give up, one flies right in front of us. Brian being the pro shooter, takes it out with one pull of the trigger. It falls to the ground and struggles for life. The boys run after it and Jaxon quickly scoops up the suffering bird. It dies in his hands (I know, sad right?). The boys seem un-phased by the whole experience. I'm standing there thinking "what the hell is so fun about this?" Anyway, that was our morning. The boys loved it and daddy got to show how awesome he is at killing birds. I will not be going again.




Here, Jaxon is showing Ryker the blood on and dripping off the bird. Hope no one (if any) read this right before a meal.

1 comment:

n!c said...

Hilarious! My favorite line... "I will not be going again."